Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Change



I have been a bit sensitive to change recently. Here are some examples...

A few weeks ago, a guest needed a place to sleep so I moved over to the futon room. That night I slept great (which is kind of unusual for me) and that is where I'll still be sleeping tonight. Maybe it is the mattress, different room, direction of the bed, or some other mysterious, elusive reason, but sleep has been had a much greater quality since this move.

This morning we did a circuit in the weight room including ab machine, triceps, leg press, shoulder press, lat pull-down, and sit-ups. Some of the guys were getting up to new high weights on the ab machine. One of the guys did a set of nine reps at one hundred pounds. I was over at triceps but just knew that I could do at least that even though I've never been above 90. So when I got back over there, I did twelve at 100. Back in August, I could only do half that weight. That is the way it pretty much is for all the exercises. This is still a fairly new thing for me but I've been enjoying it so much.

Other examples include moving to a different office at work and asking for help on a side-project that has been pretty empowering.

So I don't know. Change just for the sake of change is probably not a good thing. But change also can be very interesting and even exciting. Change is movement.

1 comment:

Jan D-M said...

Toddito,

I wanted to get back to you on something. I was talking to a young man at work about a two year struggle he has been dealing with. He was telling me a story his pastor told him about persevering. When he said something I stopped listening because all I could think of was, "I have to tell Todd this."

This is what he was told:
"Knock harder
Knock longer
Don't give up
Don't give in, if you knock long enough..."

:-)