Thursday, August 28, 2008

Same but Different Part I

We make wire and cable at Copperfield. I work primarily in the wire fabricating portion of the business. We receive 5/16" (.3125") diameter copper rod and draw (think stretch) it down to diameters as small as 0.0037" and nearly everything in between. After we get the wire down to the correct size, we apply heat to the wire and this gives it back some ductility. We then take the correct number of wires of a given diameter and bunch or twist them together to make a larger wire. Sometimes we take these bunches and twist them together to make still larger bunches. Last week, we made a cable made up of 3325 little wires - 19 bunches of 7 bunches of 25 little wires. Some of the finished wires are very flexible and some are rigid. Some are small and some are large. However, regardless of the construction, diameter, flexibility, ductility or any other properties, it is all copper. The finished product looks very different from the incoming rod, but it is still copper. Regardless of the shape or form, it is the same but different.

I have switched up my morning work-out from biking and running to lifting, cardio, and swimming. This just kind of happened, but it has been a blast (literally in some cases). The morning starts with lifting, and then cardio, and finally swimming. By the time it is time for swimming, I'm starting to feel pretty tired and even sore and very drenched (I need to mop up my puddles after elliptical or stepper). Then it is time for swimming. I walk to the edge, pause for a moment, and take a jump. Instantly, I feel refreshed. The muscles start to relax and the tiredness seems to wash away and it is time for some laps. Wow, I'm still the same tired and maybe even sore Todd and yet I'm a little different, a little refreshed. Enough energy is available after all to swim some laps. In that moment, as the water encompasses me, I am the same but different.

I've been thinking about this whole same but different thing most of the day. Part II will come hopefully tomorrow because there is much more to the story.

No comments: