Friday, August 15, 2008

Jesus

Wow, time has passed by rapidly tonight. I can't believe it is already 12:30 AM. Some of the student ministry kids were over tonight for a campfire. I just got the fire lit and it poured. So I roasted some hot dogs until the fire went out and finished them off in the microwave. Later, Lois, Ben, and Jan stopped by and the fire continued burning. The moon is very bright tonight. Ben and I were trying to figure out how to use this to persuade another person to go on a night bike ride. When I checked email, I read Jane's message about also seeing the beautiful moon tonight. It is pretty crazy that people can be enjoying the moon and probably the same time - and be hundreds of miles apart.

"Now that you are all feeling comfortable,...

I'd like to talk with you about Jesus."

Silence.

The quote comes from comedian Jim Gaffigan. When I shared this quote with the students tonight, they responded with silence. Why are we so uncomfortable talking about Jesus? I know in my own experience that I can feel embarrassed to talk about Jesus. One student brought up that she doesn't know enough to talk about Jesus. Another student said that he didn't know how to talk about Jesus without making it sound like he was judging the other person.

I would be really interested in any comments that you are willing to share about why we are uncomfortable talking about Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd, I'm going to be on the road for hours today between Eagle River and Wausau... so will have some time to think about Jesus and your question. I've felt like all 3 of you mentioned. And in my sin I feel like why would Jesus even want to give me the time of day?and then He gives me something beautiful to see like the moon last night. you've given me lot's to ponder today.....

Anonymous said...

When Jesus is mentioned most people think "soul-searching", "sin", "heaven and hell", Decision time" and they aren't ready or don't want to think so deeply about anything. They just want to get through today!