Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Air

Sometime this past weekend, I looked at my improvised nightstand and saw my Chronicles of Narnia book. I read the first five books this past summer or two summers ago - the summers seem to blur together. Then, when I made it to the sixth book, I read one chapter, lost interest, and put the book aside. When, I picked up the book this time, though, and started the sixth book again, I could not put the it down. The book seemed so fresh... so new... like I had never read the first five books.

On Monday, I was reading the last book while waiting for the professor. Someone asked what I was reading and I said, "The Chronicles of Narnia." The person replied, "Why don't you just watch the movie?" A little puzzled, I explained that there are seven books in the Chronicles. The person then asked, "Like Harry Potter?"

Aargh, I just wanted to scream.

No, not like Harry Potter. Sure, Potter is great and I've read all the books, but the Chronicles unlock something more.

When, I read the Chronicles, it is almost like I'm right there in Narnia.

I love it when people from "our world" first get to Narnia and they start breathing the air. It rejuvenates them. It strengthens them. There is just something about the air.

When I go to Wisconsin, I can't wait to get out of the car (usually in the middle of the night) to take a deep breath of the pine-scented air. It is rejuvenating. It is strengthening.

I struggle right now with being cooped up inside - particularly at work. The air seems so stale and the smells from the processes don't escape so easily out closed doors and windows.

I end up longing even more for the air of Wisconsin or the country air of a long bike ride or run.

1 comment:

Justin said...

"Aargh, I just wanted to scream."

Don't hate, educate! :-P