Monday, December 28, 2009

A Candle and some Cabbage


I had the entire week off for Christmas and had an outstanding time with friends and family. On Saturday, we had the Huff Christmas. It is pretty amazing how much it still stings to have Christmas without Grandma physically present. Yet, her spirit lives on in and through us. We have a candle that we light in her memory. (I’m not sure if pictures show up on facebook from my blog so you can click here if you are reading from facebook and don't see a picture.) This year my dad asked me to share a memory of Grandma. Coincidentally, I had been contemplating a blog post that was going to include a reference to a story from my childhood.

My brothers and I were very fortunate to grow up two fields away from our grandparents. Consequently, we spent a great deal of time with Grandma. She would read us stories and play games with us. Of course, she prepared the best lunches and always asked if we wanted milk. (I don’t think we could have ever drunk enough milk to appease her!) One fond memory from my childhood is that Grandma would cut up cabbage and put a bowl of it on the kitchen floor. Then, she would tell me to pretend that I was a little rabbit and eat it from the bowl for a snack – no fingers allowed of course. Cabbage never tasted so good! (I have always liked cabbage.)

So this is a pretty goofy little story. Yet, for some reason it really came to mind during this Christmas season. It has something to do about not worrying about looking goofy. It has something do about living boldly, freely, and imaginatively.
(By the way, I think this picture also captures another theme quite beautifully - light in the darkness. Maybe it is not really a different theme at all.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

todd it truly was another wonderful christmas. i'm so glad you shared the cabbage story as i had never heard that one. grandma really had a lot of love in her precious heart. i truly believe she lived her life with the belief it was never about her but it was about everyone else. like a baby born 2000 years ago. love dad

Jenn said...

The picture turned out great. I am so happy that I got to be a part of your families Christmas.