Monday, December 7, 2009

Why is it sometimes so hard to play?

After my last post, I have spent additional time thinking about playing. While contemplating this not so deep concept, I asked the question, “Why is it sometimes so hard to play?” My mind quickly wondered back to a boy who was absolutely terrified about learning how to ride a bike. I was so afraid that Mom must have pretty much given up. In fact, she ended up having Cindy teach me how to ride bike in town. Well eventually, I must have finally figured out how to ride. I still have the George Washington Avon bottle that Cindy gave me as my prize for being able to maneuver that two-wheeled beast on my own.

I think this memory has a lot to do with why it sometimes seems so hard to play. In many – maybe all - cases, playing makes us kind of vulnerable. I mean, let’s face it. It really hurts to fall down on the gravel driveway when attempting to ride bike. Yet, even as recent as a few weeks ago, I was so thankful for the opportunity to explore the countryside around Rensselaer on my bike. And yes, it is still seems kind of vulnerable – especially with the shoes hooked into the pedals. I’m sure it would still really hurt – probably even more so today – to end up on the ground. Yet, for some reason it is okay, in that situation, to let go and play.

But, there is more to the story...

No comments: