Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Shocking

The other night I read one of my favorite verses. In fact, this verse is printed on a plaque that hangs in my dining room. However, I happened to read it in the Message and it was as if I was reading the verse for the very first time (just a reminder, this is hanging on a plaque in my dining room).

So here it is in the NIV.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2, NIV)

Despite the fact that this verse is hanging in my dining room, if I would have referenced this verse in any way shape or form, I would have thought that "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind" was the verse in its entirety.

It is almost like I just totally ignored the other part of the same sentence - the part in blue.

Check it out in the Message.

Brace yourself.

This is shocking!

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you. (Romans 12:2 MSG)

I have more to write but am pooped and tomorrow is going to be a long day.

1 comment:

Ben Miller said...

Thats funny because when I read the NIV verse, the first line is all I payed attention to. But I agree that the Message does word it better and force you to read and understand the rest.