Monday, May 24, 2010

What's the harm in asking?

Do you ever have an idea or a thought come into your mind? I'm talking about something interesting, potentially positive, legal, different. You have that moment of excitement and then the excuses - not enough time, too goofy, what if no one is interested - begin to permeate the thoughts.

When I was living and working in Bremen, one of the ideas that I had was to do develop an interesting science lesson for the eighth grade science classes using technology. My hope was to borrow the calculator-based laboratories from Saint Joseph's and do a remix of one of the lessons from Mathematics Teaching Scholar Partnerships. I did my student teaching in eighth grade and education is still near to my heart. This seemed like a good way to remain involved in education. Seven years later, I had not done this because I figured it was too crazy to try. Then, I moved away. Well, recently, I finally emailed the teacher and expressed an interest in trying to set something up for this fall. Her response, "I have thought about asking before, but didn't know if you would have the time." I guess that we both kind of missed the boat!

No comments: