Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Piano Journey

A few weeks ago, I met up with my parents in Bremen and, with the help of Jairo, we loaded up the piano in Grandpa's truck for the 100-mi trip to its new home in Jenn's house. The other evening, I was writing a blog post and Jenn sat down at the piano and began playing. The sounds permeated the room in a cheery, life-giving manner.

Recently, I worked on updating my linkedin page and added interests that included running, biking, piano, and trumpet. However, more than a moment of hesitation occurred as I began typing in these standard inputs. I really wasn't sure how honest all of these items were anymore. After all, I really hadn't played the piano much since last September due to a pretty serious proximity issue. And I do miss playing with the band each Saturday as well.

While sitting there listening, though I began to understand that I am still interested in piano and playing music in general. The wonderful thing, though, is that maybe the expression of the interest is now in supporting Jenn and her music. I can't wait to hear about her piano lessons this summer with the "new" piano. Attending her students' music programs this school year has been a welcome respite from the often frenzied day-to-day life. I really had no idea that events would unfold in this manner when the moving guys transferred that piano through my door six years ago. You just never know...

No comments: