Saturday, April 24, 2010

Back at the Joe

Last fall, I moved to Rensselaer in order to spend more time with my wonderful fiancee, Jenn. (We are getting married in a few weeks :) so I guess that the move worked out okay.) The neat thing about Rensselaer is it home to this little haven known as St. Joseph's College. Jenn and I both graduated from St. Joseph's. Both of our youngest brothers are there now. Jenn's family has other SJC graduates as well. We are fortunate to be able to spend quite a bit of time at this park-like campus. We enjoy watching intramural volleyball games while stepping at the fitness center. We also run and bike through campus often - almost daily. We attend Mass at the Chapel and enjoy the music. It is interesting to be so close to Saint Joe once again. I just made the comment to Jenn this afternoon that I don't know if I really appreciated the beauty of the campus until now.

Yesterday, I was back in the Evans Arts and Science Building room 313 for a general chemistry lecture. However, this time around, I was the lecturer. It was wonderful to be on the other side. The lecture was on electrochemistry and the subtitle was, "Yes, It Really Is Relevant." During the lecture I shared practical applications of electrochemistry and then turned the students loose on a project. They looked at samples of wire and cable and recorded their observations regarding a discolored copper problem. We regrouped and recording some of their findings and ideas. In less than an hour, they were able to come up with many potential causes and focus areas that have come up with the project thus far.

I am extremely thankful for this and other opportunities to be around people with such an enthusiasm for life and learning.

No comments: