Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pressing On Revisited

A few days ago, I wrote about pressing on towards running a marathon before my 30th birthday. I had just made the decision to sign up for the Flying Pig marathon in Cincinnati. However, I quickly learned that sometimes greater plans might be in the works. Almost simultaneous to the decision to sign up for the marathon, I had an interesting experience in church. Here is an excerpt from an email communication:

I had a pretty cool experience yesterday. Jenn and I had gone to church in Lafayette on Saturday as part of our marriage class. On Sunday, she went with her parents to Chicago to see a play (it was their Christmas present to her). So I was pretty much planning to chill for the morning. However, about 10:15, I had this sense that maybe it would be a good idea to go to church again. My initial thought was the Methodist church that I went to in college. However, it was very close to 10:30 by the time it became clear to go to church so the next option was St. Joseph’s chapel at 11:00. So I’m sitting there in the chapel looking at the windows and paintings and Brother Tim comes up and says that he needed to contact me this week. He asked if I could be an adult leader for the Kairos retreat at the end of March. I’m extremely excited!

So the excitement kind of wore off when reality started to set in regarding the next few months. I mean, hello, Jenn and I are getting married! And there are still minor things like work, commuting, and the MBA program to balance as well. Something had to give. So after discussing with Jenn and a running friend, it made sense to shift the marathon out to the fall.

This still kind of fits into the theme of the original post, though, because it becomes part of an even longer term plan. It has also highlighted to me the need to listen to that still small voice and recognize that my plans might not always be the right plans.

Take care!

No comments: