Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Canon EOS Rebel XS

In a previous post, I introduced a new tool that I have been using in the never-ending quest to help solve problems. This new tool is the Canon EOS Rebel XS. A problem that has plagued me over the last four months has been determining the causes of color variation in copper. In this study, it was relatively easy to define the problem. However, measuring or quantifying the problem is quite difficult. Advanced techniques such as SEM/EDAX and Auger spectroscopy have only offered clues to the elemental composition of the microfilms. Electrochemical techniques also did not work. Consequently, I was delighted to receive the Canon EOS Rebel XS as a Christmas present from my parents. After some much needed instruction, I have had a great time using the camera to document observations in my ongoing studies of the discoloration of copper. This has proven most beneficial, and I have isolated another variable. Note the difference in color between the top sample and the two below it. Special thanks to Trent Miles for his help in getting me started with this powerful tool.

No comments: